South African Parastatal and Tertiary Institutions Union

Council of Geoscience

About Us

The Council for Geo-science (CGS) is one of the National Science Councils of South Africa and is the legal successor of the Geological Survey of South Africa, which was formed in 1912 by the amalgamation of 3 former Surveys, the oldest of which – the Geological Commission of the Cape of Good Hope was founded in 1895. the Geo-science Act, Act 100 of 1993, established the CGS in it’s present form.

Today, the Council is modern institution, hosting excellent facilities and expertise, ranking among the best in Africa.